Monday, February 22, 2010

Writing

We're supposed to write about how we have changed and improved as writers since freshman year, as Mr. Lunn says that we will never master writing. Now, I beg to differ with that assessment, as I am first and foremost master of everything in the universe and completely perfect at everything I attempt, but I want the points, so oh well. Right, struggles. My struggles as a writer are basically the same then as now. I have a lot of trouble thinking of words or examples. Sometimes, I will come up with a great idea or word, and then forget it a minute later. Sometimes, I'll think that I explained something well or did something right, only to be deducted points for being unclear. Many times when writing a paper, I just completely misunderstand what the paper is supposed to be about and I'll have to rewrite a lot of it, which gets really annoying. I tend to have trouble writing essays, but I think I do much better at writing stories and such, where I don't have to follow such rigorous guidelines and can be more creative. Whenever I have to write stories for standardized tests, I do really well. It's kind of weird and confusing since teachers are always saying that they grade what the standardized tests will grade like, but I'll do much better on standardized tests than the class essays. I might get a B or C on a paper I turn in, and then I'll get a perfect score on my OGT essays or something. I got an almost perfect score on the writing PSAT, I only missed on multiple choice question or something. Sometimes, I really do like writing stories, but essays are where I have serious issues. I hope this post isn't to late, it's almost 1 on Sunday and I just remembered to do this. I think I'm going to go to bed.

Oh right, quote. Here you go, fresh from Google.

A critic can only review the book he has read, not the one which the writer wrote. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

I'd say thats a pretty insightful quote, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment